Sunday 20 September 2015

Interview with Doum Kroem a.k.a DK



Meet DK, my coach buddy from Globalteer.

Doum Kroem is from Siem Reap province, born on 5th July 1993, and at the young age of 22, he has a wise head on his shoulders.

He is known as 'DK' to so many and his energy and enthusiasm to learn and teach children is something that should be respected and commended.

DK is an only child to a mother and father who comes from a farming background in a small village called Tropangveng, around 30 minutes / 20 kilometres from Siem Reap. He told me it has a great community feel to it, with houses being in close proximity to each other.

He also told me a remarkable story about what the farmers do when the farming season is over. 

"When the farming season is over, which is between December and May each year, the farmers go to Siem Reap to find work. So, 5% are Tuk Tuk driver where the others work as builders, restaurant servers, cooks, hotel assistants or tour guides."

DK told me what his parents did during this time.

"My father continues to work around the farm and my mother cooks and sells cakes to local children."

Growing up in Cambodia was a challenge at times for DK, with the post war fallout resulting in a lack of educated people and facilities for him to learn in. 

"There were not many schools when I was young so education was hard. I started school at six and found the opportunities in education difficult for 12 years. It was always hard to find a place to study locally. But I always studied hard and did lots of reading."

But despite the lack of choices and opportunities, DK always has something positive to say about his experiences in life.

"When I was ten or eleven, I used to like taking my family's cows out to the fields everyday before school. I would then finish school at 11am and worked for three to four hours. I like farming. My dad is a farmer and I wanted to be like that to help my family."

In 2009, DK started working for an NGO (non-governmental organisation) in the Siem Reap area, aiming to get experience in teaching children. At the same time, he began studying English.

Between then and 2011, he taught younger children basic English to gain even more experience before he returned for one year to his high school, in which he graduated in 2012 (Congratulations buddy!)

After leaving high school, DK found himself a job as an English teacher and then five months later, he took up a sports coaching role with another NGO until September 2013, when he joined Globalteer. He admitted it wasn't an easy transition.

"When I first met my boss, Charlie, he asked me to organise the store room. I didn't understand what he was saying. All I could say was 'yes' and 'no'. I found it difficult with little education."

But he did praise Globalteer and his colleagues for helping him progress.

"Globalteer have helped me so much. They supported me and sent me on a short English course to help and improve me. Everyone is friendly and helpful. I also like working with Globalteer volunteers from different countries, even though I still find it hard sometimes."

Yet despite these hurdles, DK has risen above them and is always working hard for his future so that he can achieve his dream.

"I want to study English so I can become an English Teacher. I am learning through coaching, it helps me understand how to respect and teach children. In my free time, everyday except Thursday, I teach the local village children English from 6:30 to 7:30 pm." 

Bear in mind, he's been up since 6 am and done a full day's work at this point! An astonishing thought, really.

"I list 20 words and the students only know four, maybe five. The level is low right now. But I want to help out the children and my village. I want to improve younger people's English in the village so that when tourists come, they can communicate with them."

See what I mean about the wisdom of this 22 year old guy from a farming background?

Always studying hard!

DK is a joker, he likes to laugh and working with him is so effortless. He has great energy and determination that makes me want to do all that I can for him whilst I'm here in Cambodia. I currently teach him English three days a week and each time he is progressing well. His knowledge is growing and others have even commented to me that they have noticed a positive change in his English level. A pleasing thing to hear.

Pensive look on the way to work.

So to close off, I asked DK a few silly questions, just to lighten the whole interview. It had been an intense forty five minutes for him.

Enjoy!

Favourites

Colour: White.

Food: Fried Chicken.

Drink: Mixed Fruit Milkshake.

Sport: Soccer and Volleyball

Random question - If you could be half one animal and half another, what would you be and why?

"I'd be a dog and cow. Top half dog because it is a smart pet, friendly, loving and when you want to have something to do, it is fun. The cow bottom half because it can help the owner, it is useful."

So in closing, I'd like to say a huge thanks to DK for his time and I wish him all the luck for the future! He's going to make it, I know he will.

Find out more about Globalteer Sports Project on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GlobalteerSportsProject

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, leave me a message. I would love to hear from you.