Tuesday 1 September 2015

Day 70 - Has it really been 70 days already?


All kitted up for the big game!

Day 70 - 01st September

So another morning had rolled around and pancakes were back on the menu for me. 

After meeting with DK, we went straight to school A. Before the lesson began, we observed a game the kids were playing. Basically, the kids had to kick a foam puck (which was a circular disc cut out from an old flip flop) against a wall or pillar so it ricocheted off and hit a pack of cards in the middle of the floor. When cards flew off from the middle the kids would pick them up. This would continue until all the cards were gone and then a count up for each card to see who had the most. 

I was tempted to jump in but they seemed in a zone and very competitive so I left them be.

Again, we ran the same drills as the day before, trying to get the kids to engage and join in. There was 20 or so of them so it was important to get their opinions on child rights collectively. The kids were really good again, and gave us food, health and fun as their rights.

Once our class was finished, we waited for another. Only four students turned up. As I scratched my head, and DK spoke in Khmer to the teacher, we quickly found out the rest of the students had joined the first session.

So we had a mini session with the four students and had lots of funny moments, dropping the ball, balls hitting me in the face and so on.

By the afternoon, we returned to project B and some of the kids recognised me and greeted me warmly. It's always a bit easy when you are familiar with the kids because you don't have to start over again with the nervousness and reluctance to talk to me as an outsider.

The rain crashed down again shortly after and we wrapped up the session.

My sports manager, Charlie had signed me up for eight weeks to play for his football team so we had a kickabout on AstroTurf against a Khmer team at 7pm. Damn those Khmer can run. We lost 7-3 but it was an unlucky defeat. We switched off a couple of times which cost us, but I can see I'm going to enjoy playing with this team.

It had been a long day and I crashed out basically when I got back and I'd had. Brief conversation with Dan and Abigail in the lobby area of Bou Savy. Ah, what a day, but I'm loving every second!

Special note: Today is the 3rd wedding anniversary of my brother, Jamie (J) and his wife Holly (Holza). Congratulations to you guys, enjoy and have a great day!

Find out more about Globalteer Sports Project on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GlobalteerSportsProject

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, leave me a message. I would love to hear from you.