Sunday 20 September 2015

Day 89 - Day Out with DK and more work!


Day 89 - 20th September

89 days since I left home and a new record - the longest I've ever been away from home, previously set way back in 2009 when I went to America for 88 days.

I woke up with a sore head and feeling very tired. The noodles for breakfast didn't help either. Nor did the sudden wave of heat we've been having since Friday afternoon - send the rain back!

I Skyped my brother, Jamie and his wife Holly. I was also able to see my niece, Emmy. Ah, she's a beaut. And she's so funny now. Laughing to the Yaya / Kolo Tourè song. Smiling at the computer. Trying to talk. Keeping her own head up. As you can tell, I'm one proud Uncle.

By 11, I'd met up with DK. We headed downtown and picked him up a book he can start reading as part of his English lessons with me. He chose a Lonely Planet guide of Cambodia, citing that he wanted to learn more about his own country as his reason. You've gotta love this guy!

I interviewed him about his life and found out some interesting stuff about him. You can read the interview here on my blog: http://www.aloombabroad.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/interview-with-doum-kroem-aka-dk.html 

After a Khmer lunch, we headed back to Bou Savy. On the way, I stopped to pick up a pencil and a pad of paper to do a little illustrating on some of my children's books. I'm not a great drawer but I can create certain things that will pass the basic test.

I then relaxed for a few hours, just drawing and watching the Tottenham v.s. Crystal Palace game until I had another Skype session with my sister, Kelly and cousin, Dave. They're coming out to meet me in Thailand in November so we went through all of our plans for the two week trip. Chiang Mai, Bangkok, Phuket and Koh Samui being our main targets. It's going to be incredible!

Then it was time for United's game against Southampton. A tricky game but one we came out winning 3-2. Gotta love that Martial!

A busy weekend to end a busy week here in Siem Reap. Week 5 is imminent, and I can't wait!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, leave me a message. I would love to hear from you.