Tuesday 1 September 2015

Day 69 - first official Monday teaching


Look at that baby go!

Day 69 - 31st August

So after a great weekend, I was ready to begin again with Globalteer.

I changed up my breakfast habit with a fruit salad, complete with Apple, Banana and Pineapple. I'll openly admit I missed the pancake.

I met with DK and Charlie for our morning sports meeting. Srey Mom was on leave for the week so we discussed how I was going to do the 15 minute warm ups with the kids which would then be followed by DK's child rights session, the object being to ask the kids what they think their rights are as a child whilst infusing it with sport - the next five weeks being volleyball.

Told you.

I was introduced to my new Tuk Tuk driver of the week, Vimol. Quiet but a nice guy. He filled up on petrol on the way out at a ready made gas station - kids come out with glass bottles of petrol to fill up the tanks. It's astounding.

We headed to school D for afternoon sessions, an hour drive from Bou Savy. 

School D is very remote, a long way out of the city, in the heart of the countryside. The kids here were so much fun, some of the younger ones are incredibly adorable and innocent in their ways, trying to get involved whilst the bigger kids either let them or just take control. 

All the kids are fantastic and it just makes it so easy to work with them.

I set up drills, whereby each team split into two and one went to one end of the yard, the other to the far end. One by one, they had to push the ball above their heads, making their way across the yard until they reached a team mate. This would continue, back and forth until everyone had been. Some were really good, others not so much but the main thing was they had fun.

I then asked them to do it in pairs, then threes and then finally as a group. They loved it, screaming excitedly and laughing as they did so. DK and I joined in with them and it was a great first real warm up for me.

When we finished, we had another class, but as per usual, the rain came down, and I mean came down. It was almost hail, so we retreated to one of the classrooms where a spelling contest was unfolding. The kids involved, six of them, knew there could only be three winners and all their classmates were getting behind them. It was great fun to watch!

On the way back, Vimol became stuck in the rain and mud so DK and I had to push him out of it.

Finally, we made our way back to Bou Savy. I met up with Dan and Abigail and we went for dinner at a small restaurant, just off of pub street. The noodles were incredible.

Afterwards, we went to Angkor What?, a backpackers bar and had beers and cocktails. And then the madness began...

I went to Angkor supermarket, picked up two packets of Cream-O cookies and went to town. Within five minutes, the first packet was gone (I did share though). By the time I went to sleep, the second was almost gone. I've got to stop buying them because they are so addictive.

After a long day of puddle jumping, Tuk Tuk pushing and cookie scoffing, I passed out.

Find out more about Globalteer Sports Project on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GlobalteerSportsProject

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, leave me a message. I would love to hear from you.