Saturday 5 September 2015

Day 73 - Wet season . . . sure, if it's wet from sweating and night buses, AGAIN!


The magician noodle lady! Penn and Teller eat your heart out.

Day 73 - 04th September

So I bundled up a fruit salad for breakfast and headed out to meet DK at 7:45. I was greeted by an old favourite Tuk Tuk driver, Mr Barang. DK had kindly bought me a cupcake in banana leaf for breakfast. It was tasty.

Our first few sessions were done in the scorching heat. I thought it was supposed to be wet season here. We ran around sweating and trying to keep the kids entertained. They seemed to be content with the drills we put on and after 2 and half hours, and four main child rights done, we headed back for lunch.

I went to the post office to send a number of postcards to friends and family before I had to be back for afternoon lessons.

The owner of the noodle stop. A great guy!

I had a great take away noodles pot, which being just outside Bou Savy, is a convenient stop for lunch.

DK and I met Srey Mom at the same project as the morning. We had three sessions to teach. The teachers and DK wanted me to take the whole lesson, from start to finish in English. I did so, but at times I felt like I was out of my depth, the kids were just staring back at me blankly. I felt like I was on a documentary, giving an eye witness account, which was then translated into Khmer by DK and Srey Mom.

Our last group of kids, ranging from two to eight I think, were working so hard to get involved and one of the older students that I had worked with the previous week at CIC, was extremely helpful in translating and getting the kids to stay in line. A big thank you to her.

Before I knew it, I was back at The Red Piano restaurant, with Dan and Abigail. My Croque Monsieur was tasty and the Tomb Raider, bright blue cocktail went down a treat. 

We grabbed a Tuk Tuk and headed 3 kilometres to Angkor Wat Golf to meet Abigail's colleagues from her school - Don and Kate (the westerners) and Sophie and her friend (teacher's at the school). It he lure of crazy golf was strengthen when we were told every hole in one came with a free beer. I was ready!

Sadly, no holes in one. The closest I managed was three strokes or a birdie on a par 4. Thîs was a tough course. We only finished six holes because we had to run to get our night bus but it was something different on a Friday evening to what I've been used too.

We met DK back at Bou Savy and quickly loaded up onto the back of a truck like a military drill to be transported to our night bus.

We realised the company we booked with, VB, was notorious for bad service and accidents. This wasn't going to go well I felt. Low and behold, an hour in, laying in my double berth with DK and looking out the splintered window, the bus came to an abrupt halt in the middle of nowhere. We'd broken down.

The air conditioning stopped working so it was like an oven in there and after forty minutes or so, the issue was resolved.

Onwards to Phomn Penh!

Find out more about Globalteer Sports Project on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GlobalteerSportsProject

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, leave me a message. I would love to hear from you.