Monday 21 September 2015

Day 90 - Final script edits and afternoon of fun!


Me trying to teach something!

Day 90 - 21st September

A new week, a new timetable.

We now visit five NGOs and schools instead of the original ten. An exciting prospect given that we get to be with a school for basically a whole day at a time.

The morning sports for social impact meeting was cancelled due to Charlie being in Battambang for two days. DK and I went through the game for the week - a box would be set up in which the kids would need to evade capture from one attacker. If they were caught, they'd have to sit down. Then we would introduce another attacker to make it more difficult. Finally, we would aid the kids by throwing balls for them to catch when they had been caught, effectively freeing them to run again.

The lesson of the week is to tell the kids the importance of health and hygiene. The message of the game is the attacker is sickness, trying to bring them down. We as the coaches are the medicine or health care, looking to help them back to health. It doesn't sound that powerful when explaining it but believe me, it has a strong impact on the kids, especially if they have fun!

I tried to finish my script completely but I had to head off to lessons. I will finish the bloody thing before Thursday's 5pm deadline.

Our class!

In the afternoon, we had two lessons at Project A, a nice little place out in the countryside. The playing field, as you can see, is perfect for what we were trying to achieve. Srey Mom joined us.

The kids love this warm up. A more mobile version of Dan says.

More painful than it looks.

The lad said we had a cheater in our ranks. Kids will be kids!

Following my warm ups, we went straight into the lesson. DK had devised the game and had said it would work. Boy, was he right. The kids absolutely loved it and competed in great spirit with each other. The social message was also clear to them as they detailed the importance of washing hands, washing, showering, brushing their teeth and all the things we do naturally without even thinking.

Coach DK's game.

Coach Srey Mom loves the sports too.

By the end of the two hours, we were surprisingly tired.

What a dinner!

I headed out for fish and chicken kebab before picking up some noodles to accompany them from my favourite noodle place. The combination was cracking as you can see.

The Cable Guy was on Fox Movies (please forgive me) so I put it on whilst I did some illustrations for my latest children's picture book. Hopefully I can get them finished whilst I travel. The build up of heat all day had caused a outrageous thunderstorm which was spectacular to watch, from inside.

I hope the rest of the days ahead this week bring less heat and more fun!

Find out more about Globalteer Sports Project on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GlobalteerSportsProject

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, leave me a message. I would love to hear from you.