Saturday 5 September 2015

Day 72 - Morning lessons, English teaching sessions and debut for Big Willy F.C


This is how I roll to my volunteer work these days - on a Tuk Tuk.

Day 72 - 03rd September

So I started my day off right with a banana pancake. I ate rapidly as I headed closer to my project and when we pulled up, the kids swamped us, trying to get the balls and cones. 

The new project was busy with children of all ages but soon DK and I had them all in lines, running our drills and having fun. Volleyball is actually a lot more fun than I thought it would be.

I'm finding that the kids are giving us a good range of child rights, with each NGO providing its own unique feedback to us. Whilst some opt for the mainstream rights like education, food, health etc, others are finding new answers like improvement to the community, respecting culture and gaining sponsorship for a better life. It's quite interesting to be a part of.

The unprepared shot.

L-R: Srey Mom, DK, Sitha and Vith.

After the morning sessions, we headed back to Globalteer where I took an afternoon English lesson with DK again to review his evening assignment. This time, we had new participants, in the form of Srey Mom, Sitha and Vith. I was happy to oblige. 

We went through connecting words and tenses. They all grasped the idea quickly and it was actually great fun to teach adults so English. DK's assignment was really good, a few grammatical errors as expected, but on the whole, he's on good form to learn the bits of English he will need to help him progress.

They even gave me my lucky number!

Later that night, I had my debut for Big Willy F.C. - my boss, Charlie's team. We lost narrowly 3-1, having had many chances but I did managed to get on the score sheet to add a consolation so it was a good start with my new team. A few more games together and I'm sure we'll be picking up points.

Well, what a day. Again, but I'm seriously loving Cambodia at the moment! I don't want it to end.

Find out more about Globalteer Sports Project on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GlobalteerSportsProject


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, leave me a message. I would love to hear from you.