Saturday 12 September 2015

Day 75 - Cheerio Phomn Penh

Busy morning markets in Phomn Penh!

Day 75 - 06th September

So DK and I were up early to find the market which happened to be a block around the corner from our hostel. We wandered through the various alleyways, looking at the wares the sellers were offering before we returned to 11 Backpackers Hostel.

The site map of 'The Killing Fields' at The Chuoeung Genocidal Center

I couldn't help still thinking about the brutality of the Khmer Rouge and the Pol Pot Regime. The sheer scale was shocking. It definitely something that is going to take some time to process.

The museum.

DK went to meet a friend whilst Dan, Abigail and I went to the National Cambodian Museum and then the market to find a bargain. I came away empty handed but Dan picked up a pair of shoes for his mum whilst Abigail said how they wouldn't fit her own feet because her feet were a similar size, but 'wider'. Dan and I caught each other's eye and moved on swiftly, not wishing to be drawn in to a potentially dangerous situation.

The bus collection was at 1:30pm and before I knew it, we were back on the road.

The 11 Backpacker's Hostel

Stunning countryside, despite the history.

It was a long journey, with thunderstorms, lack of air conditioning and selfies from Abigail (so many selfies). DK and I went through some English papers, with him reading to me. He's getting on really well and his pronunciation of words is getting better every day.

The bus journey back, which I've done twice now!

We arrived back in Siem Reap close to 9pm.

DK was picked up by his friend. Dan, Abigail and I went to a restaurant for a late dinner and we all looked buggered. After they'd finished 'another' Italian meal, we made our way tiredly back to Bou Savy.

It had been a great weekend, but very emotional at times. My respect levels for the Cambodian strength and courage has gone off the radar!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, leave me a message. I would love to hear from you.