Saturday 12 September 2015

Day 76 - New lessons to be learnt


Still loving the volunteering, can't you tell?

Day 76 - 07th September

My third Monday had rolled around quicker than me falling head first down the sands dunes in Muine.

Talking of falling head first, I had agreed to a Yoga class with DK, Charlie, Srey Mom and Becca. Lisa from the office would be our instructor. Charlie escaped with a morning coffee and a story that he forgot - clever sod. So I stood for forty minutes or so, breathing, stretching and clicking bones. In all seriousness, it wasn't bad and I may even repeat it again, maybe.

With my third week came my first social impact meeting with the Sports Manager, Charlie, Srey Mom and DK. Globalteer caretaker Mut and Vith joined us as Charlie explained how using volleyball style games with kids could be used to show them the importance of having a good education.

When the social message was explained to DK, me and the others, we went outside to practice the game. Once we had the idea, we had to start teaching it to the NGOs and schools we visit on a weekly basis.

Love them noodles. And only a $1!

I took a brief break with noodles for $1 from my favourite stop before we headed out to our two afternoon projects and began teaching our new lesson for the week. Srey Mom and I went to one whilst DK went to another.

As always, the kids were enthusiastic and wanted to learn which makes the job so much easier. One of the older kids from our first week with the CIC was coaching at the school. When I say kid, I mean 20, and it was incredible to learn how he'd worked himself up through his government school before securing his job at this particular school. A great example for the other kids.

I played a game of football with the kids who must have nutmegged me ten times. They've got some quick feet, believe me. 

We came away having found out some of the kids wanted to be doctors, nurses, teachers, sports coaches, accountants, hotel workers and so many other things. I hope that it happens for them because they work so hard yet I fear because of the lack of money here, their dreams may never become reality. It's going to be a struggle for them but with hard work and perseverance, I'd like to believe anything is possible for them.

Amok fish is amazing, and cheap.

Both the Dan's are often unimpressed, yet Abigail is always smiling!

Monday night brought us down to Pub Street. A quick dinner of Amok Fish (a Cambodian dish with a curried fish and peppers over white rice) and we were onto Angkor What? for cocktails. The bucket gained me a free t-shirt. Not a bad night's work.

The cocktail bucket.

Our final stop was the Banana Leaf for one last drink. The live music there was great and the buzz from the busy Pub Street outside made for an awesome atmosphere.

But volunteer work takes precedence so we headed back before things got out of hand (well, again anyway!)

Find out more about Globalteer Sports Project on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GlobalteerSportsProject

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, leave me a message. I would love to hear from you.