Thursday 17 September 2015

Day 86 - Wet lessons and cup games


After a huge run around. But I scored again!

Day 86 - 17th September

The rain came again, waking me up at 5:30am. So I put the early wake up to good use, working on the  admin tasks set for me and doing a little editing on my script.

I set off with DK for our project at 7:30am. My buddy gave me another one of those coconut cakes to enjoy along the way.

The kids are getting to know me now, which is good. They come up, yelling my name and high five me. What's not to love about this volunteering malarky?

Our first lesson was uninterrupted and faultless, with DK leading on the main part of the lesson and me focusing on the warm up. Having the kids jump from cone to cone and laughing as they do so makes me laugh and feel happy about this opportunity in my life. Things seem so much simpler as a kid, which I know for some of these children is not the case, but they make it look so effortless and carefree.

Our second session brought rain, so we only managed my brief warm up before we were back in the classroom, teaching them about the importance of family. DK is really flourishing with his English and is vocabulary is building fast. I am a proud teacher!

After our morning sessions were complete, I headed back to Bou Savy for lunch.

Once digested, I went to the office for our weekly social impact lesson with Charlie, recapping on the week's progress and analysing the results. We had some different answers from one school and one orphanage for obvious reasons.

My awesome student, DK.

Following this lesson, I took DK for his English lesson. Again, his reading of English is developing well and I'll genuinely be sad when I have to leave. It's been great fun. But I still have five weeks left so I'm ecstatic about that!

I had to cancel my Khmer lesson that I'd been looking forward to all day to go to a local travel agent to sort out my visa. It expires Sunday so I've renewed, in the hope that a. They don't lose my passport and b. I don't get arrested in the next six days which is when they return it to me.

The evening rolled around quickly and I was soon at Samakee Market and the AstroTurf for Big Willy F.C.'s cup game. The team we faced up against was the team we had lost to on my debut so I had a personal score to settle. I'd scored in that game but it had only been a consolation at 4-1.

We went down 1-0 fairly early on, but they were lucky to get away with a handball in the build up. We were knocking on the door constantly, hitting the post and the keeper at any opportunity. Finally, we had a break through in the last couple of minutes remaining. I drove a low shot through a crowd of players to equalise. I was pretty pleased, displaying this to my team mates with a pump of the fist and some choice words.

Then the game went to penalties. We lost in sudden death. Always a cruel way to go out but we played really well so there are lots of positives to take away (and that's not code for we were shite!)

Back at Bou Savy, I did my laundry and Skype'd my brother, Lee and his wife, Siobhan.

What a day! 

Find out more about Globalteer Sports Project on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GlobalteerSportsProject

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, leave me a message. I would love to hear from you.