Sunday 13 September 2015

Day 82 - Floating fishing village and saying goodbye to one, one to go!


The floating, fishing village was kinda cool.

Day 82 - 13th September

Mr Barang picked us up and took us 20 minutes or so to the fishing village in the south, on the Tonle Sap river.

Even Dan enjoyed this one!

We were greeted by a local guide who took us out to the village, he told us how they deal with wet season (with a whole load of luck), where they went during dry season (to the main lake), and described how they had a Catholic Church, a graveyard, a mango orchard, an orphanage and school and finally many, many houses on the water. He told us over 5,400 people lived in this floating village which was one of 132 on the Tonle Sap - a couple of interesting statistics.

They are quick for ones so little.

We stopped to get some beers and sat out on the river and drank in the sun, before moving to the crocodile farm. Those little nippers were fascinating.

I'm pretty happy out here.

We headed up on the balcony where Abigail was on the verge of tears after seeing a hornet fly around her. I told her to calm down and it would fly away but she told me she wouldn't in the politest possible way that only Abigail can (she's a good egg really).

It's quite a community here.

We then visited a school where they asked for a donation, which I politely declined. I'll donate it some other way where I can see the changes it can make - like with Globalteer.

Back at Bou Savy, it was time to say goodbye to Dan. Abigail's tears flowed freely again, almost as easily as the rain here as Dan and I did the manly handshake bit with stiff upper lips. Farewell to Dan and a safe trip to him!

A Cambodian shirt and elephant print trousers - almost authentic, right?

To cheer her up, Abigail and I went to Viva Mexican and had nachos, cocktails and a meal. Afterwards, we went to the market to search around for some bargains before heading back to Bou Savy. I picked up a Cambodian shirt, a coconut bowl with gold lining (just so I can say 'you chose wisely' as I drink water from it like Indiana Jones) and a surprise for my niece.

And that's where I stayed for the rest of the night, working on my blog and my script. Another great day with new memories to savour.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, leave me a message. I would love to hear from you.