Friday 31 July 2015

Day 38 - Wandering the Old Quarter, visiting a market and relaxing before Sapa


My laundry - I was impressed.

Day 38 - 31st July

So I woke up and packed in the dark, trying not to wake my roommates or fall over their explosion of luggage all over the floor. I don't know why when they all stomped in early this morning pissed up but somebody's got to have some manner, huh?

I headed out, indulging in a breakfast doughnut that I thought was 70,000 but was infact 7,000. It was pretty sweet, both in taste and as a breakfast choice.

I then set off looking for my usual two souvenir items - magnet for Mum, postcard for Nanna. After a brief wander, I found my postcard. I sat with the owner whilst I filled it out and we had a long talk about living in England, how much I loved Hanoi and the Vietnamese people and how I liked the lifestyle I was currently enjoying. Not working is strange sometimes but also bloody awesome.

So many nuts and seeds.

Just mind boggling the stuff you can find here.

So many shoes - my sister would love it here!

Shortly after trying to sell me a bike, I headed away from the postcard stop and moved four streets up to the local market. My word, so much stuff in such a small space. Watches, shoes, lingerie, scarfs, nuts and seeds, souvenirs, football shirts and cello tape. I was overwhelmed.

Just the average stock load to carry on a bike in Hanoi.

I found my magnet and came away happy. I navigated my way back through the streets, gawping at the sights and sounds and readying myself for Sapa.

So before I knew it, it was eight thirty. I'd been out for a fried rice dinner with sausage, bacon and vegetables. Combining this with anti-malarial tablets was a terrible idea. I suddenly felt nauseous, had heart burn and knew I was going to board a night bus in less than half an hour. Bugger!

It reached nine thirty and still no bus. With my other travelling companions for the trip, we were starting to get agitated. Dylan was delighted to get his laundered underwear back, Sebastian was eager to see the end of Enemy at the Gates and Jordy was enjoying the Oreos and Pringles prior to the off.

Soon after, we were led out onto the streets of the Old Quarter and to our night bus. After removing my shoes, I slipped into my bus bunk. It was cramped, my leg space was occupied by my bag and I had heartburn. Not the best start.

The middle didn't get any better when a group of Koreans jumped on, creating a racket and disturbing the rest of us from sleeping. It was pretty horrendous.

And following suit with the rest of the story, the bus kept stopping, I got a dead leg and I couldn't sleep with the sickness from the anti-malarials tablets.

Roll on Sapa!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, leave me a message. I would love to hear from you.