Sunday 5 July 2015

Day 11 - Bell and Drum Towers and Muslim District



Day 11 - 04th July

So with a taste for a good broth, Clinton and I headed out for more. This time we changed the vendor but the outcome was as delicious. This time we tried a herby bread with it and it was amazing.


We moved to the Bell Tower and Drum Tower for quick photo opportunities. The place was buzzing with tourists and the midday heat was beginning to rise.


Clinton's suggestion to explore the Muslim District was a challenge I relished. As soon as we entered the strip, it was evident this was going to be a challenge. The place was packed. Stalls sizzled with skewers, Chinese hamburgers and other meat dishes. Bottles of water were sprayed on the fruit to keep it fresh and succulent. Souvenir sellers called to us, requesting we take a look at their stock. All in all, it was chaos. But in a good way!




After trying a yoghurt drink, favoured by the locals, Clinton and I indulged in a Chinese Hamburger or a shredded beef patty with chilli sauce in a toasted round bread. The result - moorish. I could've eaten ten of them.

How small is the guy in the distance?


We moved on to one of the oldest mosques in China (no photos taken out of respect and the fact my phone battery died). The architecture was exquisite and the elders sitting in the entrance in a deep discussion whilst others prayed in the prayer rooms added to the atmosphere. We were the only westerners in there but the whole place was peaceful and a perfect place for reflection.

When we returned, we chilled out with Sean, who decided to return home to the U.S. I'm devastated I can't do my Jason Statham impressions to him anymore, but I'm pleased he can get back home after five months travelling to see his family and get himself an In n Out Burger (lucky son of a gun). Best of luck Seany boy, who became like a little brother in Beijing and Xi'an. Good luck with the studies.

Dumpling making in our hostel

A special mention also to any American reading on this day - it was my sister in law's birthday . . .  just kidding, happy Independence Day guys! And to my sister in law, Siobhan. It really was her birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, leave me a message. I would love to hear from you.