Tuesday 28 July 2015

Day 32 - Hong Kong Island, Temples, Western Market, Star Ferry rides and beers with strangers

Bamboo scaffolding . . . what is this witchcraft?

Day 32 - 25th July

So more rain, but I wasn't going to allow it to ruin my day. I jumped straight on the Metro and headed for Hong Kong Island. By the time I reached the other side at Admiralty, the sun was out and my renewed energy kicked in.

Here's a pre metro stop at the pier before leaving Kowloon.


I headed straight for the Man Mo Temple, one of the oldest in China and paid my respects to a piece of Chinese history. It was bizarre to see such a tiny building right in the middle of all this high rise and I was glad to have seen it for myself. Definitely one not to be missed.


The Western Market was not what I'd expected, just a few stalls set up with the usual wares. I didn't spend long here, instead deciding to go take a trip on the Star Ferry.

One of the famous tram fleet.

Seven's got to be lucky, right?

One of the cruisers in the harbour.

Look at that stormy sky.

So I hopped on the Star Ferry and off I went from Hong along Island back to Kowloon. As the clouds threatened to give in to more rain, the waves became more 'choppy'. Thè boat moved up and down laboriously and I thought I was going over the side. Thankfully, all was well and five minutes or so later, I was back on solid ground.

There he is!

After behaving like a wally, I headed back to my hostel, stopping for food (of course) on the way.

Pork mince, peanuts and noodles. Not a bad combo.

Around six, I embarked on a journey. Where many dare not go! I went to an underground bar, alone. When I arrived at Delaney's, I met Ania from Poland. We'll just say she's in her thirties, very opinionated and a good laugh.

Then came Peter from Switzerland, around forty odd. He was married to a Hong Kong woman and spoke to us about his experiences travelling and about his time in China. Nice chap but he had to shoot off.

Shortly after, we were joined by an Austrian and two Americans and along with Ania, we had a game of cricket on the dartboard. I don't know if they thought being English was an advantage because I sucked at it. I managed a slight comeback, hitting a couple of bulls eyes but nevertheless, I was crap. Hey, you can't win 'em all.

It turned into an eventful night, with me and Ania running around Chung King Mansions looking for a room, but after haggling, we found one for $300 HK.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, leave me a message. I would love to hear from you.