Thursday 30 July 2015

Day 35 - Hello to Hanoi

My first photo in Vietnam! What a prat!

Day 35 - 28th July

So I was sitting on the Hong Kong Air plane next to a guy who looked like Psy from Gangnam Style (it was his suit more than his appaearance before someone shouts racist.) Nice chap, he chose to push his elbows out right over my side of the arm rest. Being the diplomatic fellow that I am, I decided to expand my legs out to take up his side of the leg room. England 1-1 China.

Throughout the flight, they gave us food and he dropped his meat sandwich straight in his lap. England 2-1 China.

Then when we landed, he chose to barge his way to get his luggage from overhead but neglected to think that I had the upper hand because I was sitting on the aisle. I left the plane first whilst he got left behind. All in all, England 3-1 China.

Anyway, enough of that.

I arrived in Hanoi airport, ready to be interrogated about my movements. To my surprise, the customs officer looked at me, stamped my passport and waved me on. Cracking start. Then I collected my bag within ten minutes and moved out to get my taxi.

The taxi took me an hour for $15 which was pre-arranged by the hotel. I know I could of got it cheaper maybe but it was just easier. I was amazed at the mopeds flying around everywhere, and the sound of car horns tooting each other made me laugh.

The Central Backpackers Hostel owner welcomed me when I stepped inside, shook me by the hand and told me to just sit back and let his staff take care of me. I was liking Vietnam already. I was provided wi the details of trips to Sapa and Halong Bay along with free breakfast vouchers and free beer vouchers from 7-8pm everyday in the Skyview Bar on the 8th floor of the hostel. Geez, now I really loved Vietnam.

Trung, Matthijs, Sam and me

After a quick change, I headed upstairs and grabbed my free beer. I perched up on a table with a random guy and introduced myself. This chap happened to be Dutch by the name of Matthijs. We struck up a bond over Man Utd and he told me how he had a couple of coaching sessions with Van Gaal, how he'd been to Brazil and what brought him to Vietnam.

I'm so hiiighhh

We indulged in laughing gas balloons with the proprietor, Trung of the Skyview Bar and the two trashed talked over games of futsbol. Entertaining to say the least, especially when they kept shout "I'm so hiiighhh!" I also met Uruguayan, Bruno who facilitated the pub crawls.

It was a good opening night in Hanoi but I was eager to go exploring the next day, not wishing to waste my opportunity in this incredible place. As a friend once said to me, 'You may only get to do it once!'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, leave me a message. I would love to hear from you.