Tuesday 21 July 2015

Day 27 - Getting ready for the off, again!


The balcony view most nights . . . yeah, I know, stormy!

Day 27 - 20th July

So it's my last day in Guangzhou, and I can honestly say I'm going to miss this old place. I've found some really good inspiration here for my work, I've had an article accepted by a sports online writer and I've met some more great people (and I didn't even moan about being ill!)

So I got up and went out with a list of things I had to do. My first stop was at the British and French Concession just over the river, where I picked up a postcard and sent it to my nanna, a magnet for my mum and some opium for my dad . . . just kidding, he's more of a pale ale guy! I negotiated 25% off so came away happy.

After my stop there, I went in search of some trainers. My walking shoes are fine but I need something more lightweight, and I refuse to wear flip flops. My Toms are being worn too much so it was time for a change.

I searched places in several markets, finding New Balance, Adidas and Nike imitations for 200 - 300 Quan. I visited the stores of Converse, Sketchers and New Balance but they were starting at 400 Quan. Not worth the price!

Those are live fish and live bagged toads! (Enjoy, Mum)

Different rice grains.

And spices.

So I headed back to where my hostel was and navigated the local hutongs. When you shop around, you find what you're looking for (my mum and sister tell me that, I hate shopping). So in this lively back alley, surround by fish in tubs, chickens in cages and people selling fruit and spices, I find this open fronted shop. The guy smiles and greets me as I look around. I find a great pair of Adidas trainer, perfect for playing football in Cambodia in and also casually wearing. I'm expected a huge price. He tells me it's 150 Quan. I can't argue with that and snap them straight up. They also look authentic compared to the Adadis trainers the locals are sporting. Happy days!

Not bad for 15 quid!

The Guangzhou dumpling stop.

Example of why I've struggled!

On the way back, I grabbed dumplings and a vegetable patty and headed back to my room to book my hostel.

I'm off to Hong Kong tomorrow first thing so I must get some sleep. Thanks Guangzhou for an awesome time, and special thanks to Kara for putting up with Alex and I for two days. What a saint!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, leave me a message. I would love to hear from you.