Thursday 23 July 2015

Day 30 - Bottoms Up Club. Drenched but you can't dampen my spirits. I'm off to Victoria Peak and Hong Kong Island!


The views were amazing.

Day 30 - 23rd July.

Two great things happened to me in the last two days - firstly I arrived in Hong Kong. What a great place. Secondly, I've had two articles published on an online sports website so I'm over the moon. My dream is finally coming true after 11 years!

So anyway, what better way to mark a month of travelling then heading to a seventies strip club at lunchtime! Of course not, it's the old site of The Bottoms Up Club from The Man With The Golden Gun (007). The club has long since been closed (2004 to be exact, I think) but the building still remains at 14 Hanklow Street, just two streets from Chung King Mansion.

So I headed over to work towards #15 on my bucket list - visiting one Bond location from every film. It was surreal to think I stood where Roger Moore did almost 45 years ago. A definite highlight of Hong Kong for me.

The neon sign was where the 'Bottoms Up' once was!

This is where Bond and Nik Nack checked their appearance in television screens!

And this is where Christopher Lee, aka Francisco Scaramanga, fired his golden gun at a scientist leaving the Bottoms Up!

I then tried to walk to the Causeway again but rain forced me back and I retreated after a couple of hours of wandering around in a torrential downpour. I did find a cool place that was off the beaten track and kind of creepy. 

I saw this in the way down.

Strange place. It was like a jungle.

Nice mountain to urban combination though.

The locals waiting for the rain to pass.

Afterwards, I stopped for a light snack of a BBQ Pork roll, I don't think it was, and then sheltered for lunch just outside Nathan Road, sharing a table with a local. Once done, I headed for Hong Kong Island.

I don't know what that is, but it ain't no BBQ pork!

My table sharer!

I had my new jacket on, ready to go hiking!

I'd decided that I was going to hike up Victoria Peak to get to the Peak Tower to see it by nightfall. I stocked up on water and a can of coke (a caffeine fix for when I reached the top) and set off along the team line. When I ascended I suddenly realised it wasn't going to be easy. I was all alone, getting higher and higher and seeing less path way as I went.

The tram line. Pretty steep!

It was friggin' hot and I was already sopping wet from earlier!

After a couple of wrong turns, I managed to arrive just shy of the two hour mark. I was content with that, despite being sweaty and wet. But boy was it worth it. What a view, a foggy, unclear view. Nuts!


So I waited, I had a coffee and my coke and waited for the fog to clear and the night to arrive. The pictures will tell the whole story.

Worth the rain, sweat and moaning!

I met David from Basingstoke up there, another young one at twenty, but a nice guy. We passed a half an hour or so talking about travels, the Chinese culture and other things. I decided to get the cable car back down, not really fancying a trek back down. I gave up my seat on the tram for a lady (keep up the British etiquette, I say) and was thanked by the woman, her friend and her husband, who touched me and told me I was handsome. When I suggested he needed to open his eyes, with a demonstration because of the language barrier, I think he thought I was being racist. We all laughed together and David and I made an escape.

Incredible.

I headed back and had noodles and a de-brief with John overa Tsingtao, whilst doing some laundry. We were then joined by our new roommate, German girl, Elena who seemed nice and friendly. It's now three to one in Europe's favour in our room. The Korean guy is sleeping with one eye open!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, leave me a message. I would love to hear from you.