Tuesday 21 July 2015

Day 21 - The Tomb of the Nànyùe King, Yuèxiù Park and a stroll alongthe Wharf


I don't know why but I find these back streets fascinating.

Day 21 - 14th July

So it had been a poor start to Guangzhou so I was adamant to change things.

To think Bruce Lee walked this street just once blows my mind.

I rose early and showered, then headed out. I went straight to Changshou Lu (road), which housed a cheap clothes and food market. My main reason for being there was to get to Enning Lu, where the ancestral home of Bruce Lee stood just inside a school yard. I'm pretty sure I found the school but no house. Still it was an adventure!

I also worked out there are hardly any westerners here so far, so my presence in the midst of the locals was noticeable.

Well that came out well.

ThNànyùe King remains.


The only known seal for the king found in China. That is awesome!

This is for the Uncharted fans among us. Now we know it's true - off to Tibet!

Next, I headed for the Mausoleum of the Nànyùe King. It turns out for 12 Quan (£1.20) it was a worthwhile visit. Inside the museum part, played out on two levels, were exhibitions of more pottery, jade artefacts and a collection of 200 pillows (made from various materials, none linen) kindly donated by Mr and Mrs Yonge, private collectors. After an hour or so there, I ascend to steps to the excavation site of the tomb of the King. I also saw the biggest golden seal that has been excavated in China and the only material evidence to date that can be studied as a seal system from the Qin and Han dynasties. I thought that was pretty cool. I also saw the only remains of the King, that being part of his jaw and a section of his skull.

This is only a small part of the statue.


Love the fish!


The obligatory food pic . . . fried beef with vegetables and rice.

After that visit, I moved to Yùexiù Park to see the Five Rams statue. It was so hot, I had to rehydrate quickly but I found the statue, 38 metres wide and saw some pretty cool fish in the park lake. Once out and hydrated, I stopped for lunch at a small spot just outside the metro station. Another triumph, with this dish being beef and rice with vegetables.

I headed back for the hostel to get out of the sun (this damn humidity is relentless). I relaxed until early evening and then took a stroll to the nearby hutongs, finding some cool butchers, fresh veg stops and an electronic shop with anything pre 1995 for sale. Sod carrying that home in this heat!

The dreaded meal for two, for one.

I headed back, but found myself in a nice restaurant on the first floor, overlooking the street. As I spoke to a server who understood a little English, I managed to get pork with rice and a chocolate shake. She mentioned something about two and I just nodded and thumbs her up. She scratched her head, laughing behind the menu as I laughed with her. Shortly after, she came back with a pork and rice dish with vegetables and then a separate plate full, and I mean full of rice. She also supplied me with one chocolate milk and one iced coffee. I realised, with horror, the two meant two people!



Suddenly the pressure was on. The server and two others were watching me. I had no choice but to eat it. Starving children, I told myself. I did a Joey, 'you girls are about to see something really special,' tucking my napkin in and tucking in.

They dance, roller skate and do everything and anything on the Wharf.

And somehow I finished. Feeling bloated, I headed back and was ready to pass out. Good news: my anti-social roommate has gone, the socks do wonders! In his place, a guy from New Mexico, who I've already done my Walter White impression too. He'll remember my name . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, leave me a message. I would love to hear from you.