Tuesday 21 July 2015

Day 25 - Meeting Kara, the massage from hell and cinema


The Guangzhou Tower, tallest in China.

Day 25 - 18th July

So after an eventful evening, I decided to sleep in for a while. My cold still hadn't let up so I was still feeling crappy.

When I finally surface, I did some work and Alex asked if I wanted to join him and his friend, Kara to see Keira Knightley and Mark Ruffalo in Begin Again. Ever the romance novelist at heart, I couldn't turn them down.

We met in the lobby and Kara was instantly given a baptism of fire with my lame jokes and a game of 'Would I Lie to You?' Alex and I had a lot of fun with that. Shortly after, we headed back to the scene of my crime to have dinner. I received the expected nods and smirks as I entered. They must have thought I was coming for another dinner for two with two guests.

Alex and I filled Kara in with details of our travels, Austin Powers and she gave us her best London and Liverpulian accent impressions. They weren't bad, actually.

We found out Kara was adamant to pay for our cinema tickets as a 'host gift.' I repeated my line from Xi'an, 'nothing in life is free,' and Alex picked up her dinner bill, I got the ice cream in. The Kiwi and Blueberry ice creams were exquisite.

What's that saying - no no idiots stick together - a picture tells a thousand words!

We had an hour to spare prior to the film so we wandered the nearby mall to waste time. We stumbled on a trial, open area massage experience, which fifteen minutes was being offered for 3.5 Quan (35p). Alex roped me in to do seven minutes of an upper body massage, and after accepting, he went first. As the elbows of the masseuse went in to his shoulder, I felt my muscles tighten. Alex's wincing, which meant he was either in pain from the treatment or he had painful wind (either was plausible), put me off. When it was my turn, there were smacks, slaps, elbows, I'm sure a skull and knee went in at some point and a hell lot of pain. No wonder it was a trial. It felt like a bloody trial for me!

Coming away, Alex said he felt limber and relaxed. I felt like I'd been battered by a train.

We made our way to the cinema and sat down in the screen. The seats reclined which was a new experience and suddenly an advertisement boomed at me. A creepy Chinese voice on screen yelled, 'no mobile phone use,' 'no smoking,' and 'no talking.' Terrifying. As everyone else laughed at the advertisements, Alex and I made glances and joined in, hoping for the best.

My review of Begin Again . . . a really, well made piece of indie moviemaking. A hilarious cameo from James Cordon provides highlights throughout and the music, with its Maroon 5ive style on it adds bounce and life to New York. Definitely worth a watch!

After a long night, we headed back and I took a Skype session, finally getting to talk to my Nanna and seeing my niece, Emmy throw up over herself. Bless her.

One thing though - my Nanna still hasn't got her bloody postcards I've sent her from every destination! Given she doesn't have Facebook or Twitter, it's a big deal! Here's hoping they arrive soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, leave me a message. I would love to hear from you.