Wednesday 15 July 2015

Day 15 - Shanghai Museum, The Bund and The French Concession


The view from the dorm.

Day 15 - 8th July

Waking up at the crack of Dawn (classic Gervais), I checked my washing to see if the wet bits had dried. Of course not! Typical. So I headed off to the sinks on my floor and washed everything again by hand. After wringing it out, I hung everything around the room, out on the window sill and even on the fire exit stairs, outside. The heat outside is the quickest way to dry things.

So I headed out, on my lonesome, looking for the Shanghai Museum. I reached station and wandered. A couple stopped me and asked me to take their photo. Being the English gent, I obliged. I quickly found out they were cousin. The girl, called Xieling (sounded like Shirley) and the guy, Wiju (sounded like Wii U) asked me if I wanted to try tea, authentic Chinese style. Who was I to deny them, plus I'm English, I love a good cuppa.





Sometimes, tea is all you need!

I discovered Xieling lived in Shanghai as an estate agent, whilst Wiju worked previously in a car factory. They were 27 and 28. They were friendly and wanted to show me what Shanghao had to offer. Within minutes, we were in the food district, and heading inside a narrow shop. The owner, opened a door with a sliding view point on it and I suddenly felt I was in some sort of trouble. Then the fun began. We had four different types of tea with Jasmin and fruit and all manner of other things in them. I was taught how the Chinese poured hot water on a statue for good luck, how you need to take three sips, smelling the aroma and swirling the tea around in the petri dish before each sip. It was quite the experience.


The Shanghai

After leaving them, I moved to the Shanghai Museum, losing myself in the history of ancient China for a few hours. From the Bronze gallery on the ground floor, up to level one for ceramics, onto level three for painting, seals and calligraphy and finally, coinage and the Jade gallery. All in all, three hours well spent.




The Shanghai Museum.



Created entirely of wood! It was about eight foot tall.


Why am I thinking of the Crystal Maze?




This is my admiring face.

Following this, I headed South towards the Bund, or 'Embankment of a muddy waterfront' to see The Shanghai Tower in all its glory. I stood in awe at its beauty, they way it completed the skyline. I hope to go that side of the water before I leave.



Amazing for a ridiculous £2.20 with a drink!

Strolling back, I stopped for pork and rice with a small, independent vendor, just off the Shanghai Music Hall. The food was incredible, the service very good and I had a full belly afterwards. What more could I ask for?










I decided whilst I was down in the South part of the city, I'd check out the French Concession, where many writers and travellers have gravitated in the past. Perhaps one day my name will be mentioned in those streets . , ,  it's good to dream , right? I navigated my way through the narrow streets, gawping at the delicious looking skewers, the famous yoghurt drinks and the souvenirs.

I suddenly saw a sign for Guiness and I instantly gravitated towards it. Bell Bar was small and quaint and I was warmly greeted as I walked in by the bar owner. A chap in his fifties from Singapore ask me to sit down beside him on the bar stools. Over a Guiness and single malt whiskey, we talked about my travels so far, my next ports of call and his time spent travelling China, Japan, Australia and other parts of the world for his trading job. It was definitely a highlight of the day as I passed a few hours just talking to a complete stranger.

Tired, I headed back to my hostel around 7pm, picking up bananas (my first fruit purchase since arriving in China), BBQ crisps (of course), a sprite and a large bottle of water. 

I was pleasantly surprised to find my clothes and towel dry and to celebrate, I watched Sean Penn and Javier Bardem in The Gunman with a few of the locals and a couple of other backpackers. Their reactions to the extreme violence were priceless to an American girl and I.

Who said being on your own was no fun?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, leave me a message. I would love to hear from you.