Saturday 11 July 2015

Day 13 - Forget the slow boat to China, it's a slow train to Shanghai!


Please tell me that there is a 12 hour time difference between Xi'an and Shanghai so my journey is only 8 hours!

Day 13 - 6th July

So one thing I did forget to mention, I crossed off number 19 on my bucket list - Learn how to eat with chopsticks. Thanks to Will, Sean, Dan and a few others, I've sort of mastered the horizontal pick up and progressed to basic level of vertical pick up. Thank you guys.

Oh yeah, look at me go!

So last night was one of fun, me teaching my Chinese roommate, Wang how to speak English for his studies. Trying to tell him their is no 'Y' in the middle of Shakespeare was a particularly fun exercise.
'Shakey-speare,' he kept saying. In the end I resorted to shaking a bottle and spearing him with my pen. He understood clearly then. He taught me the Chinese numbers in sign so it was a win-win.

The fun soon faded come bed time and what ensued was an array of disruptions. The last guy to bed left the light on, followed by the air condition so my nipples were like Toronto's CN tower, and then I had all three Chinese men snoring in my dorm whilst I tossed and turned, hoping to get a good night's sleep, even if I did go blind from the light or get hypothermia. No such luck. Instead, I was treated to four hours of synchronised snoring, which I finally managed to make into 'A Thousand Miles' by Vanessa Carlton, a familiar tune on this triip (my Beijing contingent will appreciate this one!)

I laid awake from 5:30am, looking at the ceiling and thinking to myself, 'I wonder if I'd scare them if I just started shouting now.' Resisting a serious urge, I instead decided to roll around like a dog chasing its tail so the guy on the bunk beneath reshuffled, and the two others on the other bunk followed suit. Peace at last . . . nope, here's the chorus again. 

Eventually, I gave up, deciding to do a little more reading from my Lonely Planet guide book to gauge what fun I could have in Shanghai (Elliot, my roommate from Beijing said it has an awesome night scene. I'll check that out, I'm sure).

I'm wondered if someone dyslexic started this place and wanted to call it 'Discos.' Nothing would surprise me here.

So I got up at 6am and had a shower with my 'quick dry' towel which is damp, reminding me I need to do some laundry when I get to Shanghai. I then headed down the street in search of breakfast. Eventually, after passing Dick Coffee, which I passed up on, I found Dicos, which I assume is a healthier version of Little Chef or Wendy's. The chicken breast sandwich was nice with a black coffee as I wrote a little more of my novel. Every so often, I'd glance up to see the locals watching me - the novelty of a westerner in their midst has apparently not worn off for them yet.

Cracking bit of Madeira cake!  It soft enough to use as a pillow . . . Hmm.

On my way back to check out, I stopped for a slab of white sponge cake to take with me on my train journey. It's was going to be a long 20 hours to Shanghai.

I went back to my room, packed, bid Wang farewell eight times, grabbed my bag and checked out around 9am. I thought I'm doing well here, got my 100 Yuan deposit back, I've showered. Had breakfast and now I have a few hours before I leave for Xi'an train station. I check my reservation again . . . oh bugger! The train's not at 3pm, it's at 5:15pm. 

So I sit down in he common room of the hostel for five hours, messaging people, writing, peeing every half hour - damn coffee - and talking to Raoul and his wife, originally from El Salvador but now living in O.C, California. They've been happily married for 35 years in December (yeah, I can relate - my parent's celebrated their 35th anniversary in June - congrats again Kimbo and Michelob). 

Raoul went off to sort a tour or something, so me and his wife had a chat. She said the secret to a successful marriage was to work through difficult times so you don't get divorced. I agreed, pff, as if I knew anything about it. She then said the divorce rate was so high now, with people getting divorce two, maybe three times on average now. I laughed and she said by the third time, men would have erectile dysfunctions, resulting in divorce again! I laughed once more and she joined me. 'It could happen to you.' My laughter stopped abruptly. I'm not even married yet, let alone divorced three times and struggling to perform under pressure and here I am talking about it to a woman I've just met. She said even long time marriages like her, you had to keep each other interested.

When Raoul returns, she has a smile on her face. We shake hands, wish each other safe journeys and they leave. I'm feeling inadequate now and I'm not even in a relationship. Let's just hope I don't pull a Ross from Friends and get divorced three times. I don't want to be a flop at marriage (pun definitely intended).

So I headed off to the train station, walking the streets in the humid weather and check in. After a couple hours wait, I board the train and find my soft sleeper in carriage 10.

I'm greeted by a 19 year old, his aunt and his grandpa. The kid says to me I am the first English person he has ever met and well, the below says all . . .

Yep, those are my glasses he wanted to put on, no questions asked. 

Goodnight, see you tomorrow in Shanghai!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, leave me a message. I would love to hear from you.