Wednesday 15 July 2015

Day 16 - Back at the Bund and Dog Town




Why do I keep thinking of the Crystal Maze . . . Mummsie!

Day 16 - 9th July

Another humid day, with thick clouds covering the skyscrapers brought more skepticism as to how long it would be until a storm would begin . . .

I headed down to the Shanghai Science and Technology Museum on the other side of the river, hoping to see some cool gadgets and glimpses at the future. Instead I was treated to long queues, children running around aimlessly and street sellers trying to get me to buy trinkets and 'silk' scarfs. I don't know if they thought the best way of getting to my money was to avoid offering me magnets and postcards and instead offering me fake silk scarves, which could be worn around my neck whilst I walked the city,  but I walked away empty handed. To say I was tempted would be an overstatement.

As I reached the ticket booth, I decided the 60 Quan fee for entry was a bit too much, so I hopped back on the subway and went to the Oriental Pearl Tower. More kids and parents. It was then I came to my senses, admittedly it doesn't happen often, and I realised it was the school holidays! Of course it was, it's bloody July. 

So a short stroll along the muggy Bund and I thought what could I do that's different, that I've never done before? Then it came to me . . . I've never seen a movie on my own, and especially a movie where subtitles would be present. I found a nearby mall which anyone who knows me knows I was desperate because a. I hate shopping and b. I hate shopping. This was seven storeys of pure torture. No shopping precinct should take you fifteen minutes to get to the top. When I arrived at the cinema, I looked for Terminator Genesys. Nope, not showing, yet five screens were showing Jurassic World within the space of half an hour of each other. I know 24 million people need catering for but that slightly overdoing it.

I headed back to RockandWood and settled in to do some writing. A few hours passed and an old acquaintance from Xi'an, in the form of Tom, the Gravesend guy from back home. My almost two days of silence that any monk would be proud of was over.


'Michael you came . . .'  'That's what she said.' Yes, this is Michael Scott.

That evening we set off to meet some guys Tom had met in Hong Kong. They worked at a little place called DogTown, a side of the road, four stall pop up bar that did tacos, and boy were they good! I also met Tom's Hong Kong buddy, Michael Scott, and being a big American Office fan I almost fell off my chair. Also working with him was a chirpy Irish chap called Charlie who persuaded me to go for a DogTown cocktail - punching close to 85% alcohol, 15% something else. It was great to chill out, meeting other Americans, Australians and some locals. We headed to a sports bar shortly after, had some nachos and beer and then headed home at 2am.

And I was greeted by more snoring . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, leave me a message. I would love to hear from you.