Wednesday 15 July 2015

Day 18 - Typhoon? That's tea isn't it?


Just because I love this place

Day 18 - 11th July

It was torrential rain, the trees were whistling and everyone was awaiting the biggest storms to China's coast for 35 years. Instead, it was just rain, more rain and then a bucket load on top.

I headed to Shanghai train station, adamant to get my ticket to Guangzhou. What should have been simple led to a four hour trip of walking in the rain trying to find a bank that accepts my cards, walking to the nearest metro station and getting lost for an hour and walking around, damp like I'd just botched a selfie on the Bund and fallen in the river.

Finally getting back, Tom and I hung out in the hostel and I managed to get a lot of writing done. It was too wet to go outside again.

Another cool surprise arrived in the form of another companion from Xi'an, Clinton 'the moustache', from Washington DC. He just got in from a horrific sounding train journey where he'd had to stand whilst dirty water and other things sloshed along the floor. I laughed, before realising I had a hard seat for my 16 hours to Guangzhou the next day. Fudge!



What else could I eat at a rain in whilst I edit my novel?

So we did what any good guys could do in a torrential storm; we drank, we talked and we ate. We met Cecelia from Philidelphia and we discussed her business start up plans. She has some big ideas for a 23 year old. After an in depth conversation, I'm now intrigued to see how it will unfold. We arranged a reunion in five years, to meet at the hostel. It'll be interesting to see if that comes together.


See ya, Dong Dong!

I bid farewell to my roommate, Dong Dong. He was a good guy.

As the night closed, Tom, Clinton and I headed out for midnight noodles before crashing out. I know I'd got a cold on the way from the four hour rain exposure so tomorrow's 18 journey should be fun!

Still, it could be worse, I could be working in a dead end job somewhere. Silver linings aye?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, leave me a message. I would love to hear from you.