Wednesday 15 July 2015

Day 17 - The Jingan Temple, French Concession and Boom Boom Bagels

Stunning Temple in the middle of Shanghai

Day 17th - 10th July

With a new / old companion in tow, whatever way you look at it, Tom and I headed out to the Jingan Temple to see what it had to offer. The incense was strong in the air but I strangely found myself pensive and unable to moan. I must be getting older. 

Oh sweet mother, of all which is good and pure!

Shortly after, we popped straight across the street for A half dozen Dunkin' Donuts and a Salted a Caramel Latte. One thing I love about Shanghai is you can be immersed in history and culture one second, losing yourself through the ages and then you turn around and realise you're still in a huge metropolitan city, with Starbucks, McDonalds and the like at your disposal.


It's all good fun with the Uni kids, trying to learn English.

We then moved down to the French Concession, a particular favourite of mine from my time here in Shanghai. It's a maze of alleyways, filled with clothing, trinkets, technology, bars and eateries. You could easily spend half a day getting lost in there. I was approached by some Chinese Uni students, trying to learn the language barriers between English and Mandarin. After a brief Q and A, the obligatory picture with the westerner ensued.

A bottle of Guinness was a new experience.

We stopped off for couple of beers, of course, at a little street bar in the Concession called Friends. A Guiness and aTsingtao were just the ticket as we watched the world go by. My attempts to interact with a local and two accompanying Americans broke off as quickly as the umbrella I bought. As soon as I opened it, it snapped and crumpled in a heap to the floor. That's what 1 Quan will get you! I was told I should learn more Chinese so I could interact properly. Swivelling around on my stool made my thoughts clear on the subject.


One for you Mumma, but too much to ship home I'm afraid!

We headed out in the evening to Boom Boom Bagels, another hang out and work joint for Mike and Co. The shredded beef was delightful on a plain bagel with salad. A smooth ale washed it down nicely. The windows had begun rattling furiously and whispers reached my ears that two typhoons were on the way, moving across the Pacfic to the coast of China.

Undeterred, we headed for DogTown to bid farewell to a crazy assed Skiwi (a KiWi with an S), a Canadian who lost his Ray Bans and a guy from Southampton, who was glad Tom and I knew where he was from, because no once else had a clue. I pointed them towards the first ten minutes of Titanic!

Again, we ended up in the sports bar with Mike, with more nachos and beers. It was low key and I also got to see Murray get dominated by Federer. Ah, the simple pleasures . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, leave me a message. I would love to hear from you.