Monday 30 November 2015

Day 159 - A whole day literally travelling


Farewell New Hut Bungalows, you've been amazing to me.

Day 159 - 29th November

So as the title eludes, it was a full day of mini vans, ferries, more mini vans and sleeper buses. By the end, it was getting more luxurious but prior to that, it was looking like one of my old boss's cups of tea - dark brown, oily and too strong - basically, a horror show.

My journey, from Surat Thani (after an hour on the ferry) to Kuala Lumpur. Christ!

I boarded the mini van with two Eastern European girls and we took the short 25 minute trip to Koh Samui pier. The waiting area had just me in it for quite a while, which was worrying but suddenly it started to fill up. A French woman asked me to open her can of cold coffee and being English, I duly obliged with a smile despite having a tug of war with it for five minutes.

Well the island did look like a woman lying down but I caught it on a down wave. Nuts!

We all boarded the ferry and I had a little snooze. It wasn't long and within an hour, we were back on mainland and horded into a shabby coach. Bits were falling off of it, it was dirty, it was Asia's finest!

We stopped after thirty minutes, possibly even less and those bound for the airport stayed on whilst the Malaysia gang stuck around. Lucky I checked otherwise they were going to take our luggage with them!

Those damn mini vans, my expression says it all.

A mini van shows up. A pretty nice one with leather seats but with all mini vans, no bloody leg room. We endured this five hours with a brief pitstop. I met Ross from Atlanta, Georgia and we ended up next to each other on the second leg of the bus until we reached almost the most southern part of Thailand.

A sweet ride but a crazy transfer. 

As the rest of the group went off, me and Ross were told to get into the back of an classic, gold Mercedes where an old guy drove us five minutes to a bus company.

This was pretty good for £1.

There we had to wait for an hour for our night bus. We were the only ones going to Kuala Lumpur. In that time we got lost but found a little time to have dinner at a Chinese restaurant which was pretty good. A few snacks from Seven 11 would tide us over until we reached Kuala Lumpur on the morning.

I might miss this set up in years to come.

By six thirty, I was running alongside the bus as I came out of the toilet. The bugger was going to drive off with my luggage and without me. Close call!

Love this bus. Great leg room, air con is a bit too much!

We reached the exit border. No problems. We reached the entry border for Malaysia. No problems. We were in the clear. So we got our heads down and hopefully, we'd sleep all the way until we reached Kuala Lumpur - yeah, and Sandra Bullock would be waiting for me in my hostel room when I got there!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, leave me a message. I would love to hear from you.