Friday 6 November 2015

Day 136 - Bangkok or Bust


Kinda smoggy here

Day 136 - 06th November

Arriving in Bangkok at 6am was a treat. It was stifling hot for such an early time of the day and I was instantly set upon by a cabbie wanting to get my custom. To be fair he was a decent bloke who took me to my hostel after I confused him and we ended up at the Grand Palace.

I checked into Samsen Skyline Hostel whilst disturbing the owner's sleep. My dorm was pretty nice and I had a few hours kip before I headed out to explore.

My first port of call was Khaosan Road, the strip of bars and market stalls aimed at travellers and tourists alike. My brother had told me about it before but from the way he described it, I was expecting a whole lot more. The food stalls were pretty good but there wasn't much more to write home about.

The political monument

After a few beers here I wandered around, finding the Queen's shrine and political monument, a lot of traffic, a few temples and too many 7 Elevens (far too many).

In the evening, the lure of trying Khaosan out again was too strong and I settled in a local place for dinner. A lady boy was waving at me from behind the bar which was nice, I suppose. I think I was more disturbed by the Australian couple in their fifties sitting beside me. The husband was telling her she lost a few hundred Baht and she was telling him that he held all the money. At one point I felt her turn, possibly looking to me for help, but I stared straight ahead ladyboy who waved again.

Back in my room, I had no roommates so I had a night of good sleep, undisturbed and peaceful! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, leave me a message. I would love to hear from you.